Applying for a Permit to Carry a Handgun
The following instructions are the same for the initial and renewal application
TO OBTAIN A CARRY PERMIT APPLICATION, PLEASE GO TO https://www.nj.gov/njsp/ THEY WILL HAVE ALL INSTRUCTIONS WITH FILLABLE FORMS. WE DO NOT HAVE APPLICATIONS AT THE POLICE DEPARTMENT.
PLEASE PROVIDE ALL ITEMS 1-7 AT TIME OF APPLICATION:
**PLEASE NOTE WE WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY APPLICATIONS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ALL ITEMS 1-7**
1. Driver’s License and Birth Certificate OR Driver’s License and Passport OR Driver’s License and Naturalization Paperwork/Green Card
2. Three (3) State of New Jersey Applications For Permit To Carry A Handgun, form SP642. MUST BE double sided and notarized.
3. Four (4) color passport size photographs.
4. Consent for Mental Health Search, form SP066. (CAN BE FOUND @ https://www.nj.gov/njsp/ ) THE MENTAL HEALTH CONSENT MUST BE SIGNED AND WITNESSED WHEN YOU DROP OFF YOUR APPLICATION.
5. Written proof of ownership and qualification with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying.
a. Proof of ownership can be a purchase receipt or purchase permit or a notarized letter of ownership listing make, model, and serial number of handgun(s).
b. Written qualification must be within six (6) months of application and include the Instructors Name and Certification, make, model, caliber and serial number of handgun(s) you intend to carry.
6. Money Order in the amount of $50.00 payable to; “Treasurer, State of New Jersey”
7. Copy of receipt from when you were fingerprinted.
** ALL APPLICANTS (INITIAL AND RENEWAL) FOR PERMIT TO CARRY A HANDGUN MUST BE FINGERPRINTED. IF YOU HAVE BEEN FINGERPRINTED FOR FIREARMS IN THE PAST 6 MONTHS, THOSE PRINTS WILL BE ACCEPTED. WHEN SCHEDULING YOUR APPOINTMENT WITH IDENTOGO, PLEASE USE CODE 2F164B. YOU WILL ALSO NEED MEDFORD LAKES POLICE DEPARTMENT’S ORI# NJ0032200. IT WILL THEN ASK YOU FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTORS CASE NUMBER, YOU CAN USE OUR ORI# NJ0032200.**
** THE REQUIRED WRITTEN FIREARMS QUALIFICATION, IN ACCORDANCE WITH N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.4(B), CAN BE OBTAINED AT MOST FIREARM RANGES THROUGHOUT THE STATE. A LIST IS ALSO AVAILABLE AT https://www.nj.gov/njsp/ > PUBLIC INFORMATION > FIREARMS INFORMATION > NEW JERSEY SHOOTING RANGES FOR RPO QUALIFICATION.
** A NEW JERSEY PERMIT TO CARRY IS VALID FOR TWO (2) YEARS FROM TIME OF APPROVAL.
** IF ANY OF THE PRECEDING IS NOT COMPLETE OR INCORRECT THE APPLICATION WILL BE RETURNED AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-APPLY.**
**YOUR 60 DAY CLOCK WILL START ONCE WE RECEIVE YOUR COMPLETED FIREARMS PACKET. THE PD WILL CONDUCT THEIR BACKGROUND AND ONCE WE SEND THE APPLICATION TO THE BURLINGTON COUNTY SUPERIOR COURT, WE WILL NOTIFY YOU BY EMAIL. ONCE THE APPLICATION IS WITH THE COURT WE WILL NOT HAVE THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION (PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE POLICE DEPARTMENT FOR STATUS UPDATES). WE WILL CALL YOU IMMEDIATELY, ONCE RECEIVING YOUR APPLICATION BACK FROM THE COURT.**