Medford Lakes Borough's 1st Police Officer
Chief Leon E. Gager
The Borough of Medford Lakes was incorporated as in independent borough by act of New Jersey legislation on May 17, 1939. The early history of the Medford Lakes Police Department consisted almost entirely of Chief Leon E. Gager and a Model-A Ford. Except for occasional aid from part time men, Chief Gager was the police force until 1967 when three full time men were added to his staff.
Chief Thomas S. Smith, Jr.
By December of 1971, when Chief Gager retired, the staff had grown to seven members, headed by Chief Thomas S. Smith, Jr, and reached a complement of eight plus a civilian secretary. At first there was no real police headquarters. Officers used space in both the administration building and the borough garage. In October 1975 an addition was completed at Oaks Hall which included new general offices, a chief's office, communications area, squad room, locker room, and darkroom.
Chief Roger N. Smith
Chief Jim McGarvey
Chief Robert Scott
Chief Frank Martine
Chief Steve Carbone
Chief Robert Dugan, Jr.
After Chief Thomas Smith Jr. retired, the department was led by Chief Roger N. Smith. Roger Smith served as Chief of Police from 1977 until he retired in December of 1995. Chief Jim "Mac" McGarvey led the department from 1996-1997. Robert Scott became Chief of Police following McGarvey's retirement and later retired in 2002. Chief Francis Martine led the department from March of 2002 until retiring in 2012.
On April 24, 2013 Lieutenant Stephen Carbone was promoted to Chief of Police. Chief Carbone has overseen the creation of the new police department website, new scheduling system, as well as a new payroll system until his retirement on May 1, 2014.
On December 1, 2015 Robert J. Dugan, Jr. was sworn in as Chief of Police.
In September 2001, the original Oaks Hall was closed and the police department along with the entire borough administration/offices, moved to the trailers located on the corner of Stokes & Lenape Trails. The trailers served as the police department and borough offices until October 3, 2008 with the completion of the "New" Oaks Hall located at it's original location on Cabin Circle Drive. Today the Medford Lakes Police Department consists of 10 full-time police officers and an administrative secretary. The Medford Lakes Police Department takes pride in providing the highest quality of police services to the residents, while working together to ensure Medford Lakes continues to be one of the safest places to raise a family and live.
Medford Lakes Police Department 1950's
March 7, 1957 New Police Vehicle
Left to Right: Chief Leon Gager, Patrolman Ralph Valls, Patrolman Clarence Wingert and Patrolman George Greatrex
February 26, 1959: MLPD New Police Car
Left to Right: Ptl. Greatrex, Ptl.Valls, Chief Gager, Ptl. Wingert, Ptl.Pryer
Chief Gager at Lamb's Garage, Ford Dealer